Quick update

I haven’t posted for a few days as I wanted to focus the last few days of my visit on my parents (Sorry for those of you who have been waiting for updates!). It was really good to take time for conversations and begin processing the enormity of what has happened in the past 30 days.  Now that we are out of the “danger zone”, that processing can begin; I think it was helpful to start doing this together before I returned home.

My dad continues to do really well. I have used the phrase “really well” so many times in the past month that it feels a little trite, but it’s the best I can come up with! At this point in recovery, “really well” means:

  • continuing to build strength and momentum each day
  • remaining relatively free of pain
  • keeping his incisions infection-free
  • managing his physical limitations (with gentle reminders!) 
  • keeping an absolutely consistent positive attitude
There is still a lot of healing to do and after a busy day, my dad seems to need a quiet day to catch up on rest. We are assured that his recuperation has been textbook perfect and for this we are just very thankful. In the coming months, my dad will continue to work with a cardiac specialist and undergo tests to explore the full extent of the arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat) that was detected after his heart attack.  For me, it is just so reassuring to know that he is in very good hands. While there is lots more healing to be done and the normal risks following heart surgery are still present, it really does seem that the worst is over. 
For those of you who know my parents, you will not be surprised to hear that they released the story of my dad’s “cardiac incident” for teaching and review within the local emergency response team. It was their way to thank the volunteer First Responders who saved my dad’s life and stabilized him until the paramedics arrived. In releasing this story, the company that makes the portable defibrillator (that restarted my dad’s heart) heard about what happened and decided to donate another machine, in my dad’s name, to the town of Waldheim where they live. So, the final chapter of this story for our family is that my dad’s experience will, we hope, somehow help save the life of someone else. It certainly draws things here to a pretty amazing close. When this occurs, I’ll try and post information here.

For now, however, I’ll stop with daily updates on my dad and encourage those of you who know him, to email him directly.  During my last week in Saskatchewan, he began checking email again. I know that he and my mom were encouraged beyond words by the notes of support we received and are so thankful.  Feel free to drop him a note- I know he is energized by the contact and I think it’s a good way to keep him away from the temptation of driving combine this harvest!

Together, my parents, Lyndon & Jenn, and Jeff and I want to thank you all from the very bottom of our hearts for your love, support, encouragement, love and prayers. I can not begin to articulate what this meant to all of us. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
While I’ve just arrived home to BC now, I leave this post with a few parting images from the past week in Saskatchewan. 

Fresh rhubarb and saskatoon berry platz

one of the more interesting dragon flies

Farmer Unger inspecting this year’s crop

wonderful cloud formations looking of my parent’s front porch
day 6 of raspberry picking

our compromise to my dad’s insistence that he get to pick, too!
loving fresh lettuce every day

dealing with the fifth major power outage of my visit (thanks to some crazy electrical storms)

prairie sunset

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s