On the surface, our kitchen doesn’t look too bad.
So why are we renovating? Here’s why.
1. There is no exhaust fan over our cooktop. I cook a lot and nearly 6 years without a fan hasn’t been fun. Putting in a hanging exhaust fan over the island wasn’t a great idea for us because…
2. We can’t stand our island. It’s a great size (and contains most of our usable counter) but it’s too big for the room. Cooking at our house = chasing people in circles around the island. The weird layout of our house means that you have to walk through the kitchen to get to the living room/dining room and the island creates a bottleneck even when it’s just the two of us. A U-shaped kitchen makes so much more sense in our space.
3. Our oven is 30+ years old and will not last forever. For the past 5 years we’ve been calling it “Inferno” because it does really well over 450 degrees. That can only keep up for so long.
4. The cupboards are solid wood but they’re tired. Even after a makeover 4 years ago (Jeff sanded down through 5+ layers of paint and refinished them) they are tired. The uppers are also hung slightly lower than normal and that makes it impossible to fit most counter top appliances. I have measured every coffee maker available and even the shortest is 1.5 inches too tall. I imagine I will be much more enjoyable to live with when we can get a coffee maker.
5. I want to get rid of the pass through window into our bedroom. ‘Nuff said.
So that’s why. No matter the reasons, the process gets kicked into high gear this weekend with the official move into our basement kitchen and demolition of what you see here. Stay tuned.